Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Entering a new age of reading

I started Shutter Island this past Friday. I will try and remember to post when I actually finish it.

So... at what point did I go from reading a chapter books, to spending that majority of my reading time reading board books to a 3 3/4th month old!?!?

Instead of walking Ellie to sleep at night, we are now reading a few books and putting her in her bed to sleep. I have always enjoyed reading, and hope that this passes on to Eleanor as she gets older. I remember being a little girl and love going to the library and bookmobile! I cannot wait until Ellie is old enough to go to the 'brary and pick out books. But since she thinks everything needs to go into her mouth, we will stay away from books that have been touched by tons of people and instead stick to our very own collection of books (which is why she got books for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and may just be getting them in her Easter basket as well!) I hope that starting at a young age, and developing a tradition of reading before bed will help create an avid reader as she gets older!

Our current favorites: Going on a Bear Hunt, I Love You Through and Through, Love You Forever, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother Too?, and her I Love You 'Taggies' book.

P.S.- It makes my heart melt listening to Nick read to Ellie on the nights that he puts her to bed (even if he doesn't read the story in the same way I do.)

1 comment:

LuCinda said...

I used to take Sophia to the library with me in the sling. Just looking at all the colorful books entertained her! Now we go twice a week most weeks.