The question came up at a recent girl gathering about Santa Claus and whether he wraps gifts or not when they arrive at the house Christmas morning. There were 10 of us girls there and 8 out of the 10 had wrapped gifts from Santa under the tree that morning. I was one of the 2 that had unwrapped gifts from Santa.
Here is my family background- each Christmas morning (that I remember anyway) we would awake to find Santa's gifts in nice piles for each of us four kids. The piles were all separate under the tree with each child's stocking laid out in front of that kid's respective pile. We did not have anything in our stocking- just the gifts behind them. I always thought it was amazing how Mom got a picture of each child's gifts in the nice pile for the scrapbook. I think one time she told me that Santa helped out and took them for her. How nice is that Santa.
I found it really interesting that this topic came up because Nick and I went back and forth on how we would celebrate Santa and the gifts from him. I believe that Nick had wrapped gifts and got a piece of fruit in his stocking.
Back to my original thought… being the 'organized' (substitute your word of choice for that one) person I am, I wanted all traditions to be set for Eleanor's first Christmas. Yes, my friends did think it was very funny that when they came to meet Ellie for the first time (the week she was born) that there was already a stocking hung for her. Yup, I convinced Nick that we HAD to have stockings, and they all had to match. They also needed to have our full names on them and we needed them this year so the pictures in the scrapbooks would be uniform throughout the years. Our stockings arrived the day before Eleanor was born (and I may have had them up just to see how they looked the night we went to the hospital). It is a good thing the ultrasound tech was correct and Ellie was a girl!
Back to the gifts- Nick and I decided that Santa would wrapped the kid(s) gifts and we would put a little gift in their stockings as well, maybe a piece of fruit once Ellie gets old enough. It is also a good thing that when I was purchasing our wrapping paper for Christmas on December 26th of LAST YEAR that I grabbed a roll of paper that did not match the other ones (just in case Santa arrived this year). So, our tradition will include wrapped gifts, but the gifts will be in a different paper than the other presents and will not arrive until Christmas morning. Each family member will also have a stocking, with a small gift in it. I cannot wait until Christmas morning to see what Santa puts in my stocking!
No comments:
Post a Comment